Monday, July 9, 2007

Screw Work

The day after that tryout shift at the one restaurant, I received a call saying that things were not going to work out. However, the next day, I ended up getting a job at a Pakistani restaurant, though that whole experience has sucked. Because of my situation, this is the best job that I've been able to find, especially this time of year when there are so many other people looking for work. I'm getting paid 4 pounds an hour, under the table (minimum wage is something like 5.35/hr). On top of that, the restaurant keeps all the tips, though that doesn't really matter as they just have me basically bussing anyway. I'm going to try to hang in until Friday and give my notice then, but I'm not too sure if I can make it. While I have been told that it is customary throughout the UK, I wouldn't be surprised if it is just this place, but the restaurant is holding on to a week's pay to make sure that I give notice instead of just walking out, as I nearly did last night. I am a bit worried that they might try to dick me out of that pay, though I could always report the tax-free, sub-minimum wage pay, so that should hopefully protect me.

My tens days sharing that flat ended and I'm back at a hostel. It's far more backpacker-oriented than the last one I was at, which is rather nice, though I do miss having some storage space. Neither the flat nor this hostel have really had convenient internet access, hence the lack of updates lately.

Aside from the work stuff, I am still really enjoying my time over here.

No comments: