Saturday, May 12, 2007

Computer Problems

The few working computers at this hostel suck, so I haven't ben able to access blogger or myspace for the past few days. Went to the Tate Modern (on Wednesday?), which was awesome. Spent about 20 minutes looking at my favorite sculpture, Boccioni's "Unique Forms of Continuity in Space" (forgive the probably botching of the spelling and possibly the title) and saw some awesome Braques and Picassos. They also had a recreation of Duchamp's "Bride Stripped Bare by her Bachelors, Even" (and recreations of the Fountain and a couple others) and a "book" Duchamp did with miniature versions of several of his works including Nude Descending a Staircase. Saw a couple cool Francis Bacons too. That was definitely my favorite museum experience so far, though i did really like the Surrealism Things exhibit at the V & A (went to that on Tuesday). After that, went to Albernach, this really cool Scottish restaurant, and had a glass of 35 year-old Tamnavulin, and a 1970 Bruichladich, the later being my new favorite scotch. Of course, I don't think I'll being having either again anytime soon.

Thursday night we tried to get into some club, but were turned away because of our "trainers" so we ended up just going to Cheers next door (definitely not my favorite experience of the trip so far). Yesterday i went to Portabello market (lots of vintage clothing) and then Oxford street and then Oxford Street with Eugene (Eugen), until my knee started to really hurt, forcing me to head back to the hostel. Later, had some dinner at a Pub with Curtis (from Pittsburgh) and then we, Eugene, and this woman from Jersey went to Soho. That is definitely my area of town. Went to some cool (but very crowded) Spanish bar, where there was some "blind" guy who was one of the items on a pub crawl scavenger hunt. Think I might have to try something like that next time I get the opportunity. Later, we went to the Roxy, an "Indie Pop" dance club. They played some good music, and I did dance, but it was still a dance club. I'm really hoping that pubs stay open later in Scotland, which I think is going to be my next stop. I need to try to book a hostel after I finish this post (we'll see how well that goes for my procrastinating ass). Later, I will try to go to an internet cafe with decent computers so I can finally upload my pics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha "trainers" i guess i was wrong thinking they would pass ok. did you get any cool vintage clothes? maybe you should bring(or mail) me something, hint, hint ;) that really sucks about your knee, have you been wearing those things? i guess add bad knees to the list of bad things we somehow inherited from somewhere. one time my knees were so bad at disneyland, i had to stop literally every 5 minutes to rest b/c i was in so much pain.
i'm glad that it looks like you are having fun and i am not reading about too much drinking ;)
i am actually counting down your return, 5 weeks now, right? hehehe.

miss you!!!!!!!
love you!!!!!!!